Research and Publications
College Success Among Illinois DCFC Youth in College (YIC)/Youth In Scholarship (YIS) Recipients
This report represents the results of an Illinois survey of college students who receive YIC and YIS financial support for college. The results of this study will help to improve educational resources and supports for college-bound students who receive child welfare services.
[Annual Report] Higher Education as the Lifeline to Social Mobility for Former Foster Youth: A Comprehensive Needs and Assets Assessment
Dr. Houston, "This study examines the experiences of Illinois foster care alumni who attend college. Based on syntheses of preliminary data, several themes emerged:
- Survey participants are confident, doing well academically, and are predominately female.
- Childhood experiences can impact psychological well-being in higher education.
- Finances are the #1 concern of these students.
- Ongoing desire for social connection and family support"
Download "Against All Odds: College Success Among Foster Youth" presented by Dr. Doris Houston at the Main Street College Event.
FAYS I and II reports
- Education as the Lifeline to Social Mobility for Youth in Foster Care
- Higher Education as the Lifeline to Social Mobility for Former and Current Foster Youth-Final Report
- ISSUES BRIEF: Youth and Young Adults from Foster Care: Why Education Matters
- Higher Education as the Lifeline to Social Mobility for Former and Current Foster Youth-Highlights
Refereed Publications and Professional Monographs
Avant, D., Nesbitt, L., & Houston, D. (2015). Cultural Competence: Enhancing Social Work Students’ Competence to Practice with Diverse Populations. Journal of Ethnic & Cultural Diversity in Social Work (manuscript under review).
Houston, D., Adeoye, B., & Oni, A. (2014). Evaluating Health Education Prevention Programs: A Culturally Responsive Model. Evaluation and Program Planning (manuscript under revision).
Houston, D., & Sheridan, K. (2014). Illinois Permanency Enhancement Project: FY 2014 Data Trends. Springfield, IL: Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.
Houston, D. (2013). Illinois Permanency Enhancement Project: FY 2013 Data Trends. Springfield, IL: Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.
Houston, D. (2012). Illinois Permanency Enhancement Project: FY 2012 Data Trends. Springfield, IL: Illinois Department of Children and Family Services.
Ryan, S., Houston, D., Harris, G., Brown, D., Smith, S., & Howard, J. (2011). Open adoptions in child welfare: social worker and foster parent attitudes. Public Child Welfare, 5(4), 445-466.
Houston, D., & Adeoye, B., (2010). Understanding the challenges of the U.S. foster care System: lessons learned from agency practitioners and court officials. European Journal of Social Sciences, 15(3), 340-353.
Adeoye, B., Adeoye, F., & Houston, D. (2010). Adoption and utilization of information communication technologies among families in Lagos, Nigeria. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering, 2(7), 2302-2308.